Hillsborough County is a vibrant and diverse destination located in the west-central part of Florida. With its rich history, beautiful beaches, and dynamic cultural scene, Hillsborough County has something for everyone.
The county was named after Wills Hill, the Earl of Hillsborough, who served as the Secretary of State for the Colonies in the 18th century. Hillsborough County was officially established in 1834 and has since been a hub of commerce, industry, and culture in Florida. The county is home to several major cities, including Tampa, the state's third-largest city.
Our Top Ten Local Destinations
- Busch Gardens Tampa Bay - Busch Gardens Tampa Bay is a world-renowned theme park that offers thrilling rides, animal encounters, and live shows. The park is home to a variety of animal species, including tigers, lions, and gorillas. Visitors can also enjoy roller coasters, water rides, and other attractions. Busch Gardens Tampa Bay is a must-visit for families and thrill-seekers.
- The Florida Aquarium - The Florida Aquarium is a top-rated aquarium that showcases the marine life of Florida and beyond. The aquarium features a variety of exhibits, including a coral reef, a shark tank, and a penguin habitat. Visitors can also enjoy interactive experiences, such as a behind-the-scenes tour and a dolphin encounter. The Florida Aquarium is a great destination for all ages.
- Ybor City - Ybor City is a historic and vibrant neighborhood in Tampa that is known for its cigar-making heritage and lively nightlife. Visitors can stroll through the picturesque streets, admire the colorful architecture, and explore the local shops and restaurants. Ybor City also hosts various events throughout the year, such as the Gasparilla Pirate Festival and the Ybor City Jazz Festival.
- Hillsborough River State Park - Hillsborough River State Park is a beautiful and peaceful park that offers hiking trails, picnic areas, and a campground. The park is home to the Hillsborough River, which provides opportunities for fishing, kayaking, and canoeing. Visitors can also see the park's historic structures, such as the Fort Foster State Historic Site and the Seminole Indian War-era Bridge.
- Tampa Bay History Center - The Tampa Bay History Center is a museum that showcases the rich history and culture of the Tampa Bay area. The museum features exhibits, artifacts, and interactive displays related to the area's Native American heritage, the Spanish colonization, and the development of the city. The Tampa Bay History Center is a must-visit for history buffs and cultural enthusiasts.
- Davis Islands - Davis Islands is a charming and upscale community that is located on two islands in Tampa Bay. Visitors can enjoy the scenic views of the water and the local architecture, which includes Mediterranean-style homes and Art Deco buildings. Davis Islands also offers parks, beaches, and marinas, as well as a variety of shops and restaurants.
- Henry B. Plant Museum - The Henry B. Plant Museum is a museum that is located in the former Tampa Bay Hotel, which was built in 1891 by railroad magnate Henry B. Plant. The museum showcases the hotel's history and the Gilded Age in Florida, including the development of the tourism industry and the Spanish-American War. The Henry B. Plant Museum is a fascinating destination for history buffs and architecture enthusiasts.
- Tampa Theatre - The Tampa Theatre is a historic movie palace that has been entertaining audiences since 1926. The theatre features a unique mix of architectural styles, including Mediterranean, Byzantine, and Renaissance Revival. Visitors can enjoy classic and contemporary movies, as well as live performances and events. The Tampa Theatre is a must-visit for film and culture enthusiasts.
- Big Cat Rescue - Big Cat Rescue is a sanctuary for big cats that have been rescued from abusive situations or abandoned by their owners. The sanctuary is home to over 80 cats, including tigers, lions, and leopards. Visitors can take a guided tour of the sanctuary and learn about the cats and their stories. Big Cat Rescue is a great destination for animal lovers and advocates.
- Alafia River State Park - Alafia River State Park is a beautiful and scenic park that offers hiking trails, mountain biking trails, and a campground. The park is home to the Alafia River, which provides opportunities for fishing, kayaking, and canoeing. Visitors can also see the park's historic structures, such as the limestone mine and the hydroelectric dam. Alafia River State Park is a great destination for outdoor activities and relaxation.
Hillsborough County is a vibrant and exciting destination that offers a unique mix of natural beauty, cultural heritage, and modern entertainment. Whether you're looking for a day of relaxation or an exciting adventure, you'll find it all in Hillsborough County.