Lafayette County, located in the northern part of Florida, is a small and rural destination that offers a peaceful and relaxed atmosphere. With its beautiful natural landscapes, friendly communities, and small-town charm, Lafayette County is an ideal spot for a quiet getaway or a family vacation.
The county was named after the Marquis de Lafayette, a French general who played a key role in the American Revolution, and was established in 1856. Lafayette County is home to several small towns, including Mayo, the county seat, and Day, known for its outdoor recreation opportunities.
Our Top Ten Local Destinations
- Lafayette Blue Springs State Park - Lafayette Blue Springs State Park is a scenic and picturesque park that features a natural spring, swimming area, and hiking trails. The park is home to a variety of wildlife, including birds, turtles, and fish. Visitors can also enjoy picnicking, fishing, and camping at this peaceful and well-maintained destination.
- Suwannee River Greenway - The Suwannee River Greenway is a beautiful and peaceful trail that follows the Suwannee River and provides opportunities for hiking, biking, and nature observation. The trail is well-maintained and features scenic views of the river, the local flora and fauna, and the historic sites.
- Troy Spring State Park - Troy Spring State Park is a unique and historic park that features a natural spring, a diving platform, and interpretive exhibits. The park is also home to a historic Confederate earthwork fort and a Civil War-era cemetery. Visitors can also enjoy fishing, swimming, and picnicking at this fascinating and well-maintained destination.
- Mayo Free Press - The Mayo Free Press is a local newspaper that provides news, features, and opinions about the Lafayette County community. The newspaper is a helpful and informative resource for visitors to the area and covers a range of topics, including local events, business, and sports.
- Wee Care Park - Wee Care Park is a fun and safe playground that provides opportunities for children to play, learn, and explore. The park features a variety of play structures, including swings, slides, and climbing walls. Visitors can also enjoy picnicking and relaxing at this family-friendly and well-maintained destination.
- Upper Suwannee Wildlife Refuge - The Upper Suwannee Wildlife Refuge is a beautiful and peaceful refuge that offers opportunities for hunting, fishing, and wildlife viewing. The refuge is home to a variety of animals, including deer, turkey, and waterfowl. Visitors can also hike, bike, and camp at this serene and well-maintained destination.
- Mayo Historical Museum - The Mayo Historical Museum is a charming and informative museum that showcases the history and culture of Lafayette County. The museum features exhibits, artifacts, and interpretive displays that tell the story of the area's pioneers and their way of life. Visitors can also see historic buildings and landmarks at this fascinating and educational destination.
- Branford Springs - Branford Springs is a beautiful and secluded natural spring that provides opportunities for swimming, snorkeling, and relaxing. The spring is surrounded by lush vegetation and is home to a variety of fish and turtles. Visitors can also enjoy picnicking and hiking at this serene and unspoiled destination.
- Lafayette County Courthouse - The Lafayette County Courthouse is a historic and impressive building that reflects the area's rich architectural heritage. The courthouse features a classic design and is made of red brick and white columns. Visitors can also see the historic markers and monuments that surround the courthouse and learn about the area's history and culture.
- The Smiling Goat Farm - The Smiling Goat Farm is a charming and welcoming farm that offers tours, classes, and events for visitors of all ages. The farm is home to a variety of animals, including goats, chickens, and rabbits, and provides opportunities for hands-on learning and interaction. Visitors can also buy fresh produce and handmade products at the farm's store.
Lafayette County is a quiet and peaceful destination that offers a variety of attractions and activities for visitors who seek natural beauty, history, and Southern hospitality. Whether you're looking for outdoor adventures, cultural experiences, or family-friendly fun, you'll find it all in Lafayette County.