Holmes County, located in the Florida Panhandle, is a charming and peaceful destination that offers a perfect escape from the hustle and bustle of city life. With its natural beauty, historic landmarks, and small-town charm, Holmes County is an ideal spot for a relaxing vacation.
Holmes County was established in 1848 and was named after Thomas J. Holmes, a veteran of the Seminole Wars. The county is home to several small towns, including Bonifay, the county seat, and Ponce de Leon, known for its natural springs.
Our Top Ten Local Destinations
- Ponce de Leon Springs State Park - Ponce de Leon Springs State Park is a beautiful and serene park that offers swimming, fishing, and picnicking opportunities. The park is home to the Ponce de Leon Springs, a natural spring that maintains a constant temperature of 68 degrees Fahrenheit year-round. Visitors can also hike the park's nature trails and see the local wildlife.
- Falling Waters State Park - Falling Waters State Park is a unique and stunning park that features Florida's highest waterfall, which drops 73 feet into a sinkhole. Visitors can also hike the park's trails, swim in the lake, and see the local wildlife. Falling Waters State Park is a great destination for nature lovers and outdoor enthusiasts.
- Bonifay Country Club - Bonifay Country Club is a scenic and challenging golf course that is located in a picturesque rural setting. The course is known for its rolling hills, water hazards, and well-manicured greens. The club also offers a pro shop, a clubhouse, and a restaurant that serves delicious meals and drinks.
- Geneva Historical Society and Museum - The Geneva Historical Society and Museum is a great place to learn about the history and culture of Holmes County. The museum features artifacts, exhibits, and documents related to the area's Native American heritage, the Spanish colonization, and the development of the county. The Geneva Historical Society and Museum is a must-visit for history buffs and cultural enthusiasts.
- Ponce de Leon Springs Aquatic Preserve - The Ponce de Leon Springs Aquatic Preserve is a protected area that encompasses the Ponce de Leon Springs and its surrounding habitats. Visitors can kayak or canoe through the preserve and see the local wildlife, such as alligators, turtles, and various bird species. The Ponce de Leon Springs Aquatic Preserve is a great destination for nature lovers and adventurers.
- Vortex Spring - Vortex Spring is a popular diving and snorkeling spot that features crystal-clear water and underwater caves. Visitors can also swim, kayak, and picnic at this scenic and peaceful spot. Vortex Spring is a great destination for outdoor activities and relaxation.
- Shivers Park - Shivers Park is a lovely and well-maintained park that offers playgrounds, picnic areas, and sports fields. The park also features a splash pad, a dog park, and a walking trail. Shivers Park is a great destination for families and outdoor enthusiasts.
- Hicks Honey Farm - Hicks Honey Farm is a family-owned and operated honey farm that offers a variety of honey products, such as raw honey, honeycomb, and flavored honey. Visitors can also learn about the beekeeping process and the importance of bees in our ecosystem. Hicks Honey Farm is a great destination for foodies and nature enthusiasts.
- Chipola River - The Chipola River is a scenic and peaceful river that offers opportunities for canoeing, kayaking, and fishing. Visitors can also see the local wildlife, such as turtles, fish, and birds. The Chipola River is a great destination for outdoor activities and relaxation.
- Holmes County Courthouse - The Holmes County Courthouse is a historic landmark that was built in 1925 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The courthouse features a neoclassical design and is surrounded by a beautiful park. Visitors can also see the local war memorials and historic markers.
Holmes County is a hidden gem in the Florida Panhandle that offers a unique blend of natural beauty, small-town charm, and historic landmarks. Whether you're looking for outdoor activities or cultural experiences, you'll find it all in Holmes County.