Hernando County is a charming and picturesque destination located in the west-central part of Florida. With its rich history, natural beauty, and warm hospitality, this county has something to offer to everyone.
The county was named after Hernando de Soto, the Spanish explorer who discovered the Mississippi River in the 16th century. It was officially established in 1843 and has since been a significant part of Florida's history. Hernando County is a perfect combination of old Florida and new Florida, where you can find pristine beaches, lush forests, and modern cities.
Our Top Ten Local Destinations
- Weeki Wachee Springs State Park - Weeki Wachee Springs State Park is a one-of-a-kind destination that has been entertaining visitors for over 70 years. It is home to the world-famous Weeki Wachee mermaids, who perform underwater shows in the pristine spring waters. The park also offers riverboat tours, animal shows, and water activities. Whether you're looking for a unique family outing or a romantic adventure, Weeki Wachee Springs State Park is not to be missed.
- Homosassa Springs Wildlife State Park - Homosassa Springs Wildlife State Park is a nature lover's paradise. This park is home to a variety of native Florida wildlife, including manatees, panthers, and alligators. You can take a guided tour or explore on your own and see these majestic animals up close. The park also offers wildlife shows, educational programs, and a beautiful butterfly garden.
- Hernando Heritage Museum - Hernando Heritage Museum is located in the historic May-Stringer House, which was built in 1856. The museum showcases the county's rich history through exhibits, artifacts, and interactive displays. You can learn about the early settlers, the Civil War, and the development of the county. The May-Stringer House is also said to be haunted, so be prepared for some ghostly encounters.
- Pine Island Beach - Pine Island Beach is a beautiful and secluded beach that is perfect for a day of sun and relaxation. The beach offers white sand, crystal clear water, and breathtaking views of the Gulf of Mexico. You can also fish, swim, and picnic at this peaceful spot. Pine Island Beach is an ideal place to escape the hustle and bustle of everyday life.
- The Withlacoochee State Trail - The Withlacoochee State Trail is a 46-mile trail that runs through Hernando County and several other counties in Florida. It is perfect for hiking, biking, or horseback riding. The trail winds through scenic landscapes, including forests, wetlands, and wildlife habitats. The Withlacoochee State Trail is a must-visit for outdoor enthusiasts.
- Rogers' Christmas House Village - Rogers' Christmas House Village is a year-round Christmas wonderland. It is located in a restored 1895 Victorian house and offers an extensive collection of holiday decorations, ornaments, and gifts. You can also enjoy a cup of hot cocoa and a festive treat at the onsite café. Rogers' Christmas House Village is a great place to get in the holiday Website: https://www.rogerschristmashouse.com/
- Hernando Beach - Hernando Beach is a small and charming waterfront community that is a hidden gem of Hernando County. It offers a marina, restaurants, and shops, as well as fishing, boating, and kayaking opportunities. You can also spot dolphins, manatees, and various bird species while enjoying the scenic views of the Gulf of Mexico.
- Brooksville Country Club Brooksville Country Club is a 18-hole golf course that is known for its challenging layout and beautiful scenery. It is located in a serene and wooded area, and the course is surrounded by majestic oaks, pines, and wildlife. The club also offers a clubhouse, a pro shop, and a restaurant that serves delicious meals and drinks.
- Spring Hill Drive-In Theater Spring Hill Drive-In Theater is a unique and nostalgic movie experience that has been entertaining Hernando County residents since 1968. It is one of the last remaining drive-in theaters in Florida and offers a variety of classic and modern movies on its big screen. You can bring your own snacks and drinks or enjoy the onsite concession stand.
- Tom Varn Park Tom Varn Park is a beautiful and well-maintained park that offers something for everyone. It has playgrounds, picnic areas, sports fields, and a large lake for fishing and boating. The park also hosts various events throughout the year, such as concerts, festivals, and fireworks displays. Tom Varn Park is a great place to spend a day with family and friends.
Hernando County is a wonderful destination that offers a perfect blend of nature, history, and entertainment. Whether you're looking for a peaceful retreat or an exciting adventure, you'll find it all in Hernando County.